If you’re looking for ways to stay eco-friendly during the fall months, look no further! We have six suggestions on how to be sustainable this autumn.
- Use solar-powered lights. Enjoy your outdoor seating sustainably by choosing solar-powered, LED, or fluorescent lighting. This small switch will save energy and keep your autumn nights bright. While you’re at it, make sure to add a timer that automatically shuts off your lights and reduces energy usage.
- Open windows. Before you need to turn on your heat, take the chance to open your windows and let the breeze in. This break from using the thermostat will not only help your energy bill but also help the environment.
- Recycle decorations. If you’re looking to give your home some holiday spirit, buy thrifted holiday decorations, or repurpose household items for fun, DIY décor. Luckily you can find many great ways to upcycle items into fun, fall-themed pieces on platforms like Pinterest.
- Shop for local produce. Take advantage of the farmer’s market before it gets too cold. Buying local reduces the amount of food transportation and supports your neighbors. Stock up your home with fresh produce, especially before any big holiday meals!
- Compost leaves. If you’ve been considering starting a compost pile, using the leaves in your yard is a great way to start. After collecting and shredding the leaves, you’ll need to pile them in your yard or a bin. Add nitrogen-rich items on top of your leafy base and build up with alternating layers. Make sure to research how best to care for and add to your new compost pile.
- Use recycled bags. With holiday festivities coming up, you might be going through garbage bags quicker than usual. Make the switch to garbage bags made with recycled content (like ours) for an eco-friendly home!
It’s easy to be a little greener with Greencore ®! Be sure to check out our line of sustainable products and follow Greencore on Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter for more sustainability content.